Saturday, October 30, 2021
8:00 am start time
Registration is now open at https://runsignup.com/Race/MD/Aberdeen/CatsBatsHaunted5K
Race Info: Saturday, Oct 30, 2021 Festival Park in Aberdeen
8 am start, packet pickup starts @ 6:30 am
Registration is open in 3 categories
- 5K run or walk on our certified course – fast & flat! Finisher’s medal, event shirt, and commemorative race bib are included.
- 1 Mile Fun Run or Walk (untimed), for those who want to join in the fun but don’t want to do the distance! Custom event shirt and commemorative race bib are included.
- Virtual 5K – for anyone who can’t be there in person, or who wants to carry on the traditions but not ready yet to be out in a crowd, we have our virtual 5K option.
ALL REGISTERED 5K PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE OUR FANTASTIC FINISHER’S MEDAL!
Custom event shirt for all registered by October 15. We do our best to order enough for all who register but if you register after October 15, we can’t guarantee size or availability.
Register at RunSignUp.
Mail-In Registration form and Mail Your Payment by Check or Money Order. The Cost is $25 Per Person (5K) $20 Per Person (1M) if you Register in Advance until September 30, 2020. Pricing goes up by $5.00 in all categories beginning October 1st.
Virtual 5K is $30/per person, includes packet mailing of bib, shirt, and medal.
Download the Mail-In Registration Form if You Prefer to Pay by Check or Money Order
The CoVid-19 Pandemic has changed the course of road racing – pun intended – and we are continually evaluating our plans and conditions to ensure your and our safety. As of this writing, Maryland is entering Phase 3 of the recovery with fewer restrictions. We hope the conditions allow this to continue, but we reserve the right to make changes as time progresses. We will make every attempt to keep you fully informed of these changes.
- Participants and any spectators will be required to wear a face covering before and after the race; they may remove it while on the race course
- Only those who are wearing a valid event race bib will be permitted in the Start/Finish corral
- We will be starting at 8:00 am with a rolling start. The start line will remain open for at least 15 minutes to allow everyone to cross the start line with appropriate distance from other runners, allowing a few runners across every few seconds. If necessary we will keep the start line open longer to allow all to start. The race is chip timed, so your time starts when you cross the start mats and ends when you cross the finish mats.
- If you are running with a group or team, the group of 10 or fewer will be allowed to start together.
- 1 mile participants will start once all the 5K runners have crossed the start mats.
- Due to the extended start, there is a good possibility that finishers will be coming back at the same time that others are starting. Please be aware and always keep to your right to avoid collisions!
- Once you have completed your distance, please proceed to the Medals table to pick up your Finisher’s medal. This will be self-service with an attendant. If you must wait, please maintain appropriate distance from other participants.
- Water and snacks will be available in the park. Please enjoy your snack and cool down a bit, then we ask you to leave the park area to reduce crowding.
ABOUT THE RACE:
The Cats & Bats 5k is the second race in Blue Cheetah’s annual holiday running series. This year’s event will take place on Saturday, October 30th, 2021 at 8:00 AM sharp at Festival Park in Aberdeen, MD (click for Google Maps link). Timing is what we do best, and we start on time! As with every race in the series, the Cats & Bats 5k features a Custom finisher’s medal for all participants, as well as a custom 50/50 cotton and poly tech-blend short sleeve t-shirt, plus other great swag. The race will be professionally chip timed using the RaceResult system by Blue Cheetah Sports Timing and Event Management, LLC. A portion of the proceeds from this race will go to benefit the National PTSD Foundation, a 501(c)3 public charity dedicated to helping first responders suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
BUNNY RUN – April 3
CATS & BATS – October 30
REINDEER RUN – December 18
There is ample, on-street parking in and around the event. Please be respectful of our neighbors and avoid parking on private property or in areas clearly marked for residents. Aberdeen is welcoming and safe, but as with any city it is wise to secure your valuables out of sight and to also ensure that you lock your vehicle during the event. There will be no bag check at this event since you will be in relatively close proximity to your vehicle. Please take a moment and pay close attention to where you park your car. Getting towed will ruin even your best PR time.
SWAG: n – Stuff We All Get! This event is unparalleled in 5k swag. Each pre-registered participant will receive a custom, full color, 50/50 blend t-shirt (not a cheap 100% cotton version) water, snacks, fruit, and sponsor giveaways. Additionally, every 5K finisher will receive a custom Finisher’s Medal as seen above.
PACKET PICK-UP & REGISTRATION INFO
Advance packet pickup will be announced as soon as possible and will be emailed to all registered participants. We will also be offering a mailing option this year ($5.00), please see registration.
The second option is to pick up your packet on the morning of the race. Packet pick-up will begin at 6:30 AM and will run until 8:00 AM. Participants are STRONGLY URGED to utilize the off-site packet pickup opportunity as race day pickup can be very busy and we must start the race on-time in order to comply with police and permit restrictions.
Again, we will reach out to all as we firm up these plans. Please add email@example.com to your trusted senders list, and LIKE our Facebook page so you don’t miss any information.
If you are picking up a bib and shirt for another person YOU MUST HAVE A SIGNED note, text, or email from that person giving you permission to do so. We hate to be sticklers about this, but there are lots of mean people out there who want to steal your shirt, so this is a must. No exceptions. Sorry.
All participants must be registered before 12:00 AM on October 15, 2021 in order to receive a shirt in their choice of size. Those registering after that date should receive a shirt but the size or availability is not guaranteed and we will ask you to pick up your shirt after the race. Onsite registration will be available during the early packet pick-up event, as well as on race day, ONLY IF THE RACE HAS NOT SOLD OUT. If the race has already sold out, this website will be updated with that information. Please do not rely on information from other websites, random strangers at the supermarket, or your dog groomer. Same-day and packet pick-up registration fee is $30, while spots are available. CASH, CHECKS OR CREDIT ACCEPTED AT PACKET PICKUP, CASH ONLY ON RACE DAY if registration is still open.
All official communications regarding this race’s registration status will appear on this website, the registration sites, or on our Facebook page.
* * We have seen trolls trying to “sell” their race registrations at below list pricing. Please do not fall for this scam. Unauthorized bib transfers will not be permitted or processed.
TIMING AND SCORING:
This event will be professionally chip timed and scored by Blue Cheetah Sports Timing & Event Management, LLC, using the disposable RaceResult chip system. On the back of your race bib is located a foam “chip” which records your time. Do not bend, damage, cover, remove, feed to your dog, get wet, or otherwise mangle this device if you would like an accurate time for your running or walking effort. Bibs must be worn on the front of the body, horizontal, and on the outermost layer of clothing. Improperly affixed bibs may result in no reads. Remember, a missing or improperly affixed bib equals no official time! Be sure to run across BOTH sets of timing mats at the start and the finish lines of the race. Remember, pain is temporary, but internet race results are FOREVER! Please take a few extra seconds to get this part right. Also, please do not puke on the mats. Our timers thank you!
Medals will be awarded to the overall top male and female finishers. There will also be 1st place awards for males and females 9 and under, 10 – 14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, and 70+ age groups. First place awards only folks, so if you normally come in second please run faster! Medals will not be distributed to winners on site. Winners will be contacted after all results have been finalized.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PARA-ATHLETES:
If you are a para-athlete or are running with or on behalf of a differently-abled participant, please contact us directly. We will be creating awards categories based on the number of participants in this sector. If you are a 42 year old ultra-marathoner and you are running with a ten year old para-athlete for example, we want to ensure that we have a special category for you. By doing this, we are able to ensure that non para-athletes in the same age category are able to get the awards they earned as well. Our contact information is at the bottom of this page.
We love the costume contest and will announce whether we will have it as we get closer to race day. This ritual may have to be deferred until Covid-19 is no longer an issue.
Results will be posted to Run SignUp; awards will be determined after all in-person participants have completed their distance and will be announced on Facebook after the race. Please Like Blue Cheetah’s Facebook page for awards and race announcements.
This is a USATF Certified (#MD17007NP) and Sanctioned 5k Course measuring 3.10685 miles in length if run in the shortest possible manner following all inside tangents. Your results may vary slightly on your GPS watch based on starting position, traffic, other runners, random manhole covers, etc. Volunteers and police will be stationed at important points along the course, and the route will be marked with biodegradable route arrows. Please keep in mind that volunteers and markings are there to assist you, however, it is ultimately the responsibility of every runner to know the course and turns irrespective of any assistance that may be available to you on the day of the race. Below is a course map for your reference
TIPS TO HELP YOU (AND US) HAVE A GREAT TIME:
- Smile and be nice. This a charity event, and it is run mostly by volunteer labor.
- Read all of the stuff above this section. It’s important.
- Walkers, joggers, runners of all speeds are welcome, as are wheelchair athletes (Individual or accompanied). Please let us know in advance if you require any special accommodations.
- There are things in here that are meant to be funny so you don’t lose interest while reading. If you took offense to anything, it’s the race director’s fault. We told him not to write it.
- Strollers – are welcome in this race. Children in strollers do not require a separate registration. Children of all ages who will complete the race on their own power DO require a separate registration.
- Dogs – well-behaved leashed dogs are welcome. Please make sure you clean up after your dog, and please provide a way for your dog to have a drink of water.
Years of experience has taught us to try to cover all of our bases and answer any possible questions that you may have in order to ensure that you have a fantastic experience at the race. Occasionally, we miss something though. If you have a question that isn’t answered here, please reach out to us by email or phone. Contact info for our various team members is listed below:
1. Andrea is our Chief Client Advocate, and will answer 99% of general race or registration questions that you may have. You can reach her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Chris is our Senior Race Director. He will pass your question to Andrea. email@example.com.
THIS RACE PROUDLY SUPPORTS THE NATIONAL PTSD FOUNDATION, AN IRS CERTIFIED 501C3 PUBLIC CHARITY DEDICATED TO RAISING AWARENESS AND HELPING OUR NATION’S FIRST RESPONDERS THAT ARE SUFFERING FROM POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER TO LEAD HAPPY, FULL AND PRODUCTIVE LIVES.
Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you at the race!
HERE IS THE LEGAL STUFF:
This page and its contents are (C)2021 by Blue Cheetah Sports Timing & Event Management, LLC. unauthorized use or duplication is strictly prohibited. “Cats & Bats 5k Run/Walk” and associated graphics are registered trade and service marks of Blue Cheetah Sports Timing & Event Management, LLC. By registering for, or participating in this event, you agree to our liability waiver below:
I UNDERSTAND THAT RUNNING A ROAD RACE IS A POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS ACTIVITY. I SHOULD NOT ENTER AND RUN UNLESS I AM MEDICALLY ABLE TO DO SO AND PROPERLY TRAINED. I AGREE TO ABIDE BY ANY DECISION OF A RACE OFFICIAL RELATIVE TO MY ABILITY TO SAFELY COMPLETE THE RUN. I ASSUME ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH RUNNING IN THIS EVENT INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO: FALLS, CONTACT WITH OTHER PARTICIPANTS, THE EFFECTS OF THE WEATHER, INCLUDING HEAT/HUMIDITY, TRAFFIC AND THE CONDITIONS OF THE ROAD AND ALL SUCH RISKS BEING KNOWN AND APPRECIATED BY ME. HAVING READ THIS WAIVER AND KNOWING THESE FACTS AND IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTING MY ENTRY, I FOR MYSELF AND ANYONE ENTITLED TO ACT ON MY BEHALF, WAIVE AND RELEASE BLUE CHEETAH SPORTS TIMING, LLC., AND ALL SPONSORS, MUNICIPALITIES,THEIR REPRESENTATIVES, AND SUCCESSORS FROM ALL CLAIMS OR LIABILITIES OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF MY PARTICIPATION IN THIS EVENT EVEN THOUGH THAT LIABILITY MAY ARISE OUT OF NEGLIGENCE OR CARELESSNESS ON THE PART OF THE PERSONS NAMED IN THIS WAIVER. I HAVE READ THE LIABILITY WAIVER AND UNDERSTAND THE INHERENT RISKS WITH THIS ACTIVITY. I GRANT PERMISSION TO ALL OF THE FOREGOING TO USE ANY PHOTOGRAPHS, MOTION PICTURES, RECORDINGS, OR ANY OTHER RECORD OF THIS EVENT FOR ANY LEGITIMATE PURPOSE. I CERTIFY THAT I AM 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER, OR THAT I AM THE PARENT/GUARDIAN OF THE ENTRANT AND AM GRANTING PERMISSION FOR HIM/HER TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS EVENT.
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR COMMENT ABOUT THIS EVENT, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org